Friday, July 20, 2007

Recycled Art

I am still working on getting everything figured out for my upcoming change to my website and learning a lot about what my computer can do. The good news is that I have few distractions and lots of time on my hands so I have also had time to play with creative endeavors.

My BJP for July is coming along and I will probably get more time spent on it tonight. I am thrilled with the texture and dimension that I am getting with the piece and the creative journey my life is taking as I go through the process and my life at the moment.

My other creative project at the moment is my Pop-Top chain maille purse. I started playing with the pop-tops about a year ago and built it up a little here and a little there and this spring I decided that I wanted to turn it into a purse. At that point the hard part was to figure out how I wanted to do that, but I love a challenge and slowly things are coming together for it. I am planning on entering it in the "Bead International" bead contest. They consider anything pierced as a bead so I figure that my pop-tops would count, they also tend to like innovation and such so maybe this will get in. I just need to get it finished before the September deadline. I don't think that should be a problem now that I have figure out how I want to do some of it.

4 comments:

Timaree said...

What an intriguing idea. My grandaughter has saved over 1000 of those tabs and hasn't done anything with them. She wouldn't want a purse being a tomboy but she might like to make something else. Just how did you join them. I can see wire but are they jump rings? or did you weave in the wire? I can't tell even with the blow up of the picture.

Angela said...

freebird,
I used 9mm jumprings, just the inexpensive ones you can get at Michaels or other craft stores. I used back to back pop-tops because when I started putting them together I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I didn't want any sharp edges that could scratch in case I turned it into a piece of jewelry. I will try to take a close-up of just the pop-top part so you have a better idea what I did. You could also weave wire into them and I also considered weaving cord or ribbon through them.

Something similar to what I am doing could also make a good pencil cup or something. It would kind of neat to make a few desk accessories with them. I am thinking young and hip. Anymore questions let me know, Angie

Artifax said...

What a great concept! And what a creative use of found/recycled objects. It definitely looks like a winner!

Timaree said...

Thanks Angela. And my granddaughter just might like a pencil cup since she is quite the artist for a 10 year old and could keep some of her colored pencils in it. Thanks.